ICO is going to IMEC!
This winter, the Illinois Council of Orchestras will debut it's Conducting Mentorship program by hosting a hands on Conducting Clinic at the Illinois Music Education Conference on Thursday, January 30th at 3:00pm!
Participants will work with the Vernon Hills High School Symphony Orchestra string section and clinicians Michael Mirsha and Allen Tinkham.
Interested in participating in the clinic?
- Email a resume/CV and a short video (5 mins or less) of a recent video of your conducting to email@example.com
- Applicants will be notified by December 15th if they have been chosen to participate, and be sent scores at this time to prepare.
Applications are due Sunday, December 15th.
ICO Conductor Mentoring
This program is intended to provide conductors with the opportunity to consult with experienced colleagues who will serve as a confidential resource for advice and guidance concerning the craft of conducting, and career-related issues. Our roster of participating mentors is comprised of veteran conductors who have a wealth of experience, on and off the podium. They are active performers and educators who possess a wide range of musical and professional expertise.
Mentoring topics include, but are not necessarily limited to:
- conductor training
- musical concerns in a particular score
- general career development (professional and academic)
- psychology of conducting
- issues with boards of directors or management
- repertoire and programming
- preparing for an audition or interview
- rehearsing effectively
- general questions about being a music director
Mentees must: (1) be a current individual ICO member, OR (2) the ensemble they are affiliated with must have a current organizational membership in the ICO.
Participating conductors include:
Michael Mishra, Director of Orchestral Studies at SIUE
Allen Tinkham, Music Director of Chicago Youth Symphony Orchestras